How to Make Brown Sugar
My how to guide on brown sugar dives into how to make brown sugar at home, substitutes, what to do if you brown sugar has hardened, and storage suggestions.
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 tbsp molasses or maple syrup Double amount if you are looking for dark brown sugar
In a food processor add sugar and molasses (or maple syrup)
Pulse for 20-30 seconds
Scrape sides and bottom to make sure liquid is evenly mixed in.
Use immediately or store in an air tight container
The following are my best tips for making brown sugar at home:
- Avoid using Blackstrap Molasses as it is quite bitter compared to molasses.
- This recipe can be halved, doubled or more as necessary
- Always store in an air tight container to prevent hardening
- If you need less than a cup, then use the following ratios to make light brown sugar:
- If you need ½ cup, then use 1.5 tsp molasses
- If you need ¼ cup, then use .75 tsp molasses
Calories: 16kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Sodium: 1mg | Sugar: 4g