Copycat Trader Joe's Chili Onion Crunch
This recipe will have you doing a double take to compare it to what is sold in stores. With a few simple ingredients you can make this Chili Onion Crunch at home.
- 2 Tbsp Dehydrated Minced Onion White
- .5 Tbsp Dehydrated Minced Toasted Onion
- ½ tsp Salt Flake or Kosher
- 1 Tbsp Dehydrated Minced Garlic
- 1 Tbsp Dehydrated Mined Bell Pepper Red
- ¼ Cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ Tsp Red Chili Pepper Flake
- ½ tsp paprika
In a clean and dry jar add the following dehydrated spices: onion, toasted onion, and salt. If your minced garlic and minced red bell pepper are a satisfactory size to you, then add it in also. If they are too large then, run them through a spice grinder for 5-10 seconds and add to the jar. I found these to be a bit large from Penzeys.
In pan on low heat add olive oil, red chili pepper flakes, and paprika. Heat until you can smell the chili pepper flakes. You are looking to infuse the flavors, but not cook them. When oil turns red from the paprika and you can smell the chili flakes it is done.
Carefully pour oil mixture into jar. Stir to combine spices.
This is ready to use immediately or keep in a container.
Here are my best tips for making my Copycat Trader Joe's Chili Onion Crunch:
- Use only dehydrated spices and do NOT rehydrate them.
- Do NOT substitute granulated for the minced, it won't have much texture and it will be overwhelming in flavor.
- For best flavor, you'll need to heat the oil to infuse the heat of the chili pepper flakes and get the color from the paprika.
- Store in an air tight jar or container
- If you are on a reduced sodium diet, feel free to omit or adjust the salt as you see fit.
- All my spices came from Penzey's in recreating this recipe.
Calories: 56kcal | Carbohydrates: 2g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 119mg | Potassium: 14mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 106IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 8mg | Iron: 1mg