I hope in my lifetime to visit Cuba and to sit at a bar and drink like Ernest Hemingway. Until then here is a solid recipe for a daiquiri. Enjoy on its own or with Cuban food, or be a Betty and have it with a Trader Joe's Burrito, because you are awesome like that.
Recipe adapted from Alton Brown on Foodnetwork.com
2 cups crushed ice, plus extra for chilling glass
2 ounces light rum
1 -ounce freshly squeezed lime juice, strained of pulp (None of that lime juice in a green plastic container, you know what I'm talking about)
½ -ounce Simple Syrup (Make ahead or mix equal parts sugar and water and keep in a squeeze bottle. I used 1 cup of sugar and 1 cup of water and boiled until the sugar was no longer visible)
- Fill glass with ice to chill. Set aside.
- In a shaker filled with ice add the rum, lime juice and simple syrup.
- Give it a good shake
- Dump ice from cocktail/martini glass.
- Strain into a newly chilled cocktail glass or martini glass.
- Enjoy responsibly. Especially with good food. I enjoyed a burrito from Trader Joes. Yes, just as good as the reviews on Foodnetwork.com say. But, if you are expecting the syrupy sweet drink that you've seen served in most restaurants and bars, you will be surprised by its tartness. Embrace it.