Summer. How we long for you, your longer days, just not the oppressive heat. What do many of us do to cool down? Eat ice cream. There is nothing more spectacular than soft serve ice cream, want that texture? Eat is straight from the ice cream machine. Want hard ice cream, just freeze it after the ice cream machine is done.
Betty Twist: At the very last minute add mini chocolate chips. The textural element really adds something here. If not use that as a topping.
Adapted from recipe on SurLaTable.com
- 3 cups fresh or frozen blackberries
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (Can be omitted depending on how sweet your berries are, it's completely optional)
- Puree Blackberries in a food processor and then strain the liquid through a fine mesh sieve. This will remove all the seeds. Set aside
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the milk, ½ cup sugar, cup of cream and salt; bring just to a simmer and remove from heat. Run mixture through a sieve to make sure nothing curdled.
- In a medium bowl add the egg yolks, remaining ½ cup sugar and vanilla; whisk to combine.
- Whisk constantly and slowly add warm milk mixture into the egg yolks.
- Place the saucepan on the stove over medium heat. Using a silicone spatula and scraping the bottom as you stir, heat the mixture until it thickens and reaches 175°F on an instant-read thermometer and coats the back of a spoon. See illustration:
- Remove the saucepan from the stove, still stirring constantly, and pour mixture through the fine-mesh sieve set over the bowl of remaining cream. Place warm custard over an ice bath or allow to cool to room temperature. Add blackberry puree, stirring occasionally until cold.
- Place mixture in refrigerator until cold (2 hours or better yet, overnight).
- Get ice cream maker ready according to directions. I have a Kitchen Aid Ice cream attachment. Make sure that is ready to go and on lowest speed before you start pouring the liquid.
- Allow to mix. When it is the consistency of soft serve, place in air tight freezer containers. Allow to freeze thoroughly approximately 2 hours or overnight. I keep mine in a mason jar so no air gets to it. You are free to chose what ever container you like.
- Pick your toppings and enjoy!