My sisters favorite restaurant of all things is IHOP. Why? The syrup. They offer syrups that many people do not keep at home. But all of those syrups (other than maple) can be easily made at home. Here is a quick recipe for homemade raspberry that might compliment recipes like Overnight Yeasty Goodness Waffles or perhaps Trader Joe’s Chocolate Chip Waffles that deserve something special. Even pancakes or even a dessert would work with this as its a perfect balance between tart, sweet, and acidity. My Homemade Raspberry Pancake, Waffle, and Dessert Syrup is a recipe to make some special raspberry syrup at home and it doesn’t require a lot of fancy ingredients.
1- 12 ounce package of frozen raspberries (I used Trader Joe’s)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 cup of water
1 tsp of vanilla extract
Juice of half a fresh lemon (Meyer lemon would be even better if they are in season and they are available to you. No do not use any lemon juice from a plastic bottle)
- Place first four ingredients in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes.
- Turn off heat and add lemon juice.
- Strain seeds
- Serve right away or put in a container to serve when you have the appropriate meal in front of you.
- What does this look like on food? Well this is on Trader Joe’s Chocolate Chip Waffles
On a Belgian Waffle:
Want to see more original recipes? Click on Food.
Want to see more items I’ve reviewed from Trader Joe’s? Click on Thoughts & Reviews of Trader Joe’s for a searchable list.