Deep fried Oreos move over. If you can get to a local Trader Joe’s an locate Macarons in the freezer section, this is an easy recipe for Deep Fried Macarons. It’s also more affordable as you can pick up a dozen macarons at Trader Joes for about $5. Some places charge something close to that for one macaron. The principles apply here as in deep fried oreos. Yes, I know I posted a macaron recipe on this site already. If you don’t have hours worth of time or don’t want to deep fry your hard work it is totally a Bettyfied way of going about things. Judgement free zone here, short cuts are absolutely acceptable. Trader Joe’s has a variety of flavors ready to go: Vanilla and Chocolate, Mango, the six variety pack, or molten chocolate. For this experiment I used the Vanilla and Chocolate variety.
In theory, you can and you should experiment with frying cookies, as long as they are not very soft. I can’t imagine the soft variety holding their shape after being dipped in batter. I pulled them right out of the freezer, dipped them in batter, and fried them, once they cooled down they were fully thawed.
If you don’t have a pancake recipe ready to go, then here is a suggestion:
Pancake mix recipe:
1 cup all purpose flour
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg beaten
1 cup buttermilk.
2 tbsp canola or vegetable oil
Mix dry ingredients thoroughly and then add last 3 ingredients. Do not overmix.
OR follow the back of a can that looks like this:
Fried Macarons Recipe:
At least 1 box of Trader Joe’s Macarons (in the freezer until you are ready to dip and fry)
1 batch of pancake mix (or mix prepared as you would if you were making pancakes). You’ll have leftovers. Pancakes tomorrow morning perhaps?
Enough oil to fry- 2-3″ inches in a cast iron dutch oven. When done, oil can be strained and reused.
- Heat oil to 375 degrees F.
- While oil is heating, make pancake mix as directed, do not over mix. Let it rest.
- Fry on each side until golden brown about 1 minute per side. Golden brown is your cue they are done.
- Allow to cool down and drain on paper towel.
- Optional: when cool to touch, dust Deep Fried Macarons with powdered sugar
- Enjoy! Like this recipe? See others here: Food
- Want to see more items I’ve reviewed from Trader Joe’s? Click on Thoughts & Reviews of Trader Joe’s for a searchable list.